Monday, March 21, 2011

Apply Feng Shui To Your Home – Drawing a Footprint

102_4593

The first thing I do when I want to apply feng shui to a house is draw a footprint. Not a floorplan – a footprint.

Big difference.

Now, you can measure walls, windows, furniture, appliances and draw a floorplan if you want. Knock yourself out. To me, it’s just not that necessary.

 

There are a couple of goals here –

  • applying the Bagua to the home
  • finding the relationship between doors and windows
  • establishing drain locations in the Bagua

If you want to reposition your furniture, you might find this post on space planning helpful.

 

102_4580

Okay, here’s what you’ll need to draw a simple footprint -

  • blank paper (a few sheets because you’ll probably redraw it a few times. I did.)
  • pencil & eraser
  • felt pen
  • ruler
  • sheet protector

You’ll want to draw the house on an 8-1/2” x 11” piece of paper so it will fit inside the sheet protector.

If you have a 2 story house, we’ll address the second story in a later post.

102_4582

Here’s my pencil sketch. I started with the front door, then to the left, to the right, and worked my way around the entire outside of the house. Then I filled in the rooms.

You can do it that way, or start with the front door, add the room you first see, and work your way around the house, room by room.

Either way works, but don’t be surprised if it takes a few times to get it just right.

 

I thought I had it down, so I took out my felt pen and went over the pencil marks.

 

102_4583

Nope. First try was a scratch.

 

102_4585

Second try was a little better. I’ll work with this one just for this tutorial.

 

102_4586

Next, draw little boxes on the walls to represent windows. You don’t have to actually measure the windows, but try to get them in proper relationship to doors, if possible. That will be important later on.

 

102_4587

Then draw in all the drains –

  • kitchen – sink(s) & dishwasher
  • bathroom – sink(s), toilet, tub, shower
  • laundry room – sink, washing machine

You could stop here if you want. This is enough information to place the Bagua over the house and see which room falls where.

102_4589

Or, you could continue on and draw in the furniture layout.

Later on, we’ll get to lighting, plants, mirrors, etc. This is plenty to start with.

 

Now, put your footprint into the sheet protector.

102_4591

You want to divide the main portion of the house into 3 areas, both horizontally and vertically.

I say the main portion because you’ll likely have areas that project outward or recede inward. You can read this post on Projections & Missing areas if you want a little more background.

 

102_4592

I used a purple felt pen to draw the Bagua just for demonstration purposes.

 

102_4593

I tried to write the Bagua areas on the outside of the home, except for the Health area in the center, and the corresponding colors. But if you don’t have colored felt pens, no worries. Just use what you’ve got.

If you want to download the Bagua map, I drew one up here.  Just remember to place the Bagua so your front door lies in either Knowledge, Career, or Helpful People.

*there are exceptions to this if your front door sets back from a front room and the garage. Then you’d put the bottom sector of the Bagua over that front room and garage and see where your front door lies – possibly Health.

 

Another thing I do is apply the Bagua to each independent room – based, again, on the doorway of that room. I use the other side of the sheet protector for that. It winds up being small, but it’s helpful. When you’re working on a particular area, say Career, it’s really helpful to actually see the Career area in each and every room.

You might be surprised. Often, you’ll find clutter in those areas, or things that need repaired, or drains.

It happens all the time.

 

So that’s our starting place. Once you have your footprint and the Bagua, everything will be a lot easier and make more sense.

Since my house has two stories, I’ll address how to apply the Bagua in my next post.

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to do this with out new house! (we moved here in Dec 09). I want to use this method as well, but then i see other methods where they use compass directions to determine how to place the bagua over the floor plans - how does this fit in then, or can one just ignore the directions if one chooses to use this method instead?
    Also, why do you say that the front door must be positioned under the Knowledge, Career or Helpful people sections? (i've probably forgotten some basic feng shui rules here, hehe).
    Tnx. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi this is very enlighting my house is a bit risque since i did an analysis and discovered that it is a dui and am a kan if i send you a sketch can u help me turn it around or do i have to move then it is round. Do i biuld again or need to sketch for a xun house know anything about this. Thanks my email is joenjogu@gmail.com please mail me am in kenya

    ReplyDelete
  3. When measuring a window, do you measure from edge to edge of the glass or frame to frame? Please either reply here or to lethanhdat@yahoo.co.uk thank you.

    ReplyDelete